HomeHome  DotAtionaryDotAtionary  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ask the new guy a question thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:48 pm

Lawl. As the topic header states, ask me any question about/related to DotA, and i'll try to answer them as accurately as possible. Be it strategy, technicalities or w/e.

I find that this is how i'll help this Forum grow anyway. You can ask weird questions with your dota questions as well btw.

So, Ask away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trilf

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Haha. You're the real Dota Dictionary now.. How did you find this site?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:09 pm

I just clicked on some link at google when i was searching for some DotA vernacular terms. This sight came up and the url actually intrigued be enough to join.

Oh, and to the next people, ask something dota related as well ok?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trilf

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Yeah. We thought that we were going to have the same fate as many other forums (to fail)...
Doing the best I can get out of this rank. Lol, I'm almost done with an html coding guide that I'm going to post maybe tomorrow or today. Since this is a Q and A thread, I'm going to ask: What is the most pointless item Icefrog has considered/let pass into the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 pm

I can only think of 2 for now.

Bashers and Blademail.

Bashers suck because it only caters to a very small pool of heroes, it's gold-damage ratio is piss poor, it costs too much for an item that gives too little, etc etc. Those are the most compelling reasons on why i think bashers suck. Oh, did i mention they stack with diminishing returns as well, oh well.

Blademail wins the most situational item of the game, it should only be bought when 1v1ing against a melee hero and your playing Nerubian Assasin, but then again, Return damage is magical which is negated by spell immunity. Meaning the only counter to massing blademails is BKB. The armor and damage it gives are piss poor, damage return negated by spell reduction/immunity blah blah.

Both items suck in those terms, since they are too hero specific and can only help in one side of a game. If you get bashers, it's better to just save the Hammer and go Mjoll [if you're getting an orb] or Deso [if you're going for damage], or just save it all together and purchase MKB. Killing an opponent faster is better than holding an opponent [this is posed true by games greater than 1v1s] since stalling allows the targets teammates to close in and help their permabashed friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcalibuR
EAD Teams

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 am

Lol, centa + blademail = gg, jara,magina,etc + basher = gg 2.
I wud ask, what is the first version of DotA made by icefrog?

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 am

Quote :
Lol, centa + blademail = gg, jara,magina,etc + basher = gg 2.

As i said, both items only cater to a very small pool of heroes, they suck at what they do, and costs a lot but you don't really get something from them. Blademail is counteracted by spell immunity and resistance [all heroes have a natural 25% spell resistance, and a few heroes have spell immunity, BKB grants spell immunity and is a general item for most heroes]

Bashers on the other hand, as i said, too one sided. Jara on bashers is retarded, he already has enough IAS from rampage to make his passive bash proc almost everytime. Getting another basher is overkill [pretty much like getting Hyperstone and Bashers for him]. If you need to abuse his IAS, go for pure/stat damage items that will help you kill the target faster, thus reducing the risk of teammates helping your target. Magina, Faceless Void, Slardar, all the heroes that can be considered as permabashers can get items to increase both IAS and damage, and will benefit more from other items that synergizes well with the skills they have.

Thus Basher = Suck
Quote :

I wud ask, what is the first version of DotA made by icefrog?

If i'm not mistaken, icefrog became a beta-tester around 5.84, but took over Guinsoo's work 6.10. Guinsoo managed dota thru the versions 5.xx and early 6.xx series [6.01 - 6.03, TDA worked on it 6.03 - 6.09] Euls was the one responsible for creating the Original DotA, and the first version was DotA Beta Test 2.

DotA was inspired by the AoS map from SC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MighT-and-MagiC

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:59 pm

Imma ask, how large dota map is?
Smile
In pixels (like AoE or so).... not the file size lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 pm

It's size at the beginning of the game is "small".

It should be roughly around 128x128, i'm not sure about the playable area though.

For reference though, you can use 1pixel = 100 range. so 10 pixels = 1000 range and so on and so forth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KB
DotAtionary Elder

Location : First you must go to the water. Search for the independent clauses. Find the oxidation number of CO2

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:24 pm

If my enemy is Axe and we are in an area where I have creeps, and then he casts berserker's call then in the exact or in advanced time I casted Decrepify, What command will I do?(by the way I am pugna).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pinoydotablog.blogspot.com
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Tricky question.

Anyways, if you managed to cast decrepify on yourself. You will not attack nor get damaged by counterhelix while in Decrepify [as only spells can hit decrepified units]. If you cast it on axe, you will only be able to attack axe if you have an orb with you [thus changing your attack type-true to CL orbs], otherwise, you'll only have the berserker call effect, but will not be able to attack axe due to the debuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcalibuR
EAD Teams

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 pm

Pugna has 100 hp and a nether ward lv4 casted.
Lina has 100 hp and cast laguna blade lv3 on Pugna.
What happen?

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:26 am

lina will die and pugna believe will survive for the damage of the death ward is dealth before the damage of lina's laguna blade..and when lina dies, she can't cast laguna blade..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:05 am

Both of them will die. The damage of Laguna Blade cannot be dodged and it is instantaneous, Nether Ward works via a trigger checking if a unit casts and after the mana is consumed. As for laguna blade, the damage is the first to trigger off, then the mana consumption [around .01 delay in mana loss after spell has been cast]. Thus they both die.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MighT-and-MagiC

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:12 am

IIRC, u consume mana first before releasing the spell. So, angelic was right, lina will die while pugna survive...
Next Q,
what skill has the longest cd?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:56 am

Not nessecarily, as far as i tested, Laguna Blade will be released [as it's cast point is it's damage point already] thus killing both. But i need further testing to confirm this.

Longest Hero CD:
AFAIK. Ressurection level 1, 300 seconds. Ressurection level 2 with 220 seconds. Blackhole lvl 1 with 200 seconds

Longest Item CD:
Glyph of Fortification, 600 seconds. Helm of Dominator, 300 seconds. Refresher Orb with 210 seconds.

EDIT: Somebody ask strat questions or something. The technicalities are going to my head.o.o
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:40 pm

I have onced experienced the similar case. not really 100 hp and I forget the level.
However i was sure that pugna will die with the laguna.
What happened then is that lina died while casting but the spell isn't released, so it was true that the mana is used first before releasing a spell though in mili sec...

click image to download
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dotationary.wow3.info
MighT-and-MagiC

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:03 pm

What do you think best?
Farmer or killer?
Eg.
Razor with mbk or radiance.
What do u think and why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:42 pm

Quote :
What do you think best?
Farmer or killer?
Eg.
Razor with mbk or radiance.
What do u think and why?

If by what you mean, which is better for razor. I would have to go with Rad. It's common for most players to think that Rad is a farming item, but remember, it gives a hefty +60 raw damage and 35 damage immolation. While sure you might not be at the middle of things most of the time, people will have to deal with around 150 - 170 AoE damage [via SS and Immo] every second when facing you. Making you an awesome killing/farming machine. Also remember that it is one of the core items of razor with the build focusing on raw damage.

MKB on the other hand, is also a great DPS item [the greatest in terms of damage/gold cost], but you lack AoE dominance which is needed in a team fight. Remember that rad also offers a slight amount of evade which really shows when 1v1ing the enemy carry. But if for some reason you can't manage to rush either Rad or Mjoll [the second of the 2 core item builds for him], it's viable.

Some may ask, why not butterfly? It has a shitty buildup all in all,and costs alot more than both rad and MKB. It only becomes effective once you've completed it but MKB gives more DPS, Rad the AoE dominance, and Mjoll gives BOTH. It's great as a luxury after your pure damage and survivability items, otherwise, it should never be rushed. If you're rushing eaglehorn on razor anyway, forego it and just complete a Mael, which is loads more helpful in both farming, and DPS capabilities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KB
DotAtionary Elder

Location : First you must go to the water. Search for the independent clauses. Find the oxidation number of CO2

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:10 pm

Who can use battlefury?
Back to top Go down
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Quote :
Who can use battlefury?

Those who need a cheap source of both regen and damage to be effective. PA is one of the prime examples of a hero who needs both. The cleave is just icing on the cake, it also allows you to deal significant damage on AoE which is very useful in team fights.

Other heroes you might find it useful are Magina, Proudmoore, Magnataur, Juggernaut etc. All the mentioned heroes need some form of Regeneration, as well as damage to be effective. The cheap build is solid as well 3 of the 4 heroes here have skills to help them farm the inexpensive components quite fast.

FINAL NOTE: Think of Fury as a great damage/regen item. Treat the cleave as a bonus, always consider hero skills and how they synergize well with battlefury before you get it on them. Prime example would be medusa, she needs damage and regeneration thus battlefury IS a viable item on her since the item gives both. Skeleton King on the other hand, can farm for Radiance easier than the afforementioned heroes due to ressurection, and makes for a great ganker via hellfire-stats-bottle build, he's also better of with armlet, since it's easily counteracted by crit-lifesteal, it's cheaper, and it gives the best DPS for any STR hero ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KB
DotAtionary Elder

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:44 am

WRONG!!!!

All heroes can use battlefury!

Bwahahaha another one in my hands of trick questions!
Back to top Go down
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:13 pm

Cute.

I answer a question properly and for some reason the reply i'm going to get from the one asking is "another one of my trick questions."

To the next people who will ask questions: Have some brains. Sure i've posted this thread for the sheer heck of it but i don't expect to get "tricked" every now and then.

This thread was created so that people will learn, not to trick people. So next time, have some sensibility, or at least some level of maturity before asking the question.

~GTX.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MighT-and-MagiC

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:43 pm

2 red hp creeps, 1 is allies while d other 1 is enemy.
Deny or kill? And why?
In fact this is often happening and mostly I am confused and ended with neither kill nor deny lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTXInsane

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:05 am

Last hit. Gold + Exp is better than denying an opponent of his creeps, since denying also gives him a fraction of exp [unlike the pre.6.20 days]

Lastiit as much possible, deny if you aren't last hitting. Just dont auto-attack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask the new guy a question thread!   

Back to top Go down

Ask the new guy a question thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next